Sea Bream in Mango Sauce with Coconut Rice
Sea bream in mango sauce combined with rice cooked in coconut milk is my favorite dish this spring/summer.
The sweet and refreshing taste of mango complements the tropical taste of coconut.
- 1 sea bream (600 gr)
- 1,5 cup of rice (I used rice for sushi)
- 1 mango
- 1/8 tsp chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp cardamom in powder
- 300-400 ml coconut milk
- salt, white pepper
- 2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- chives, roasted coconut for decoration
- Clean, fillet the fish. Salt it on the side of the skin.
- Bake it on Teflon pan first on the skin side 90% of the time, then turn to the other side for a few seconds.
- Wash the rice in 4 water and then cook it with coconut milk and cardamom, al dente.
- Mango peel, cut into cubes, and put in a blender. Add ground chili pepper, salt, white pepper, balsamic vinegar and combine well. Try and if it is needed correct the seasoning.
- When it's over you can serve it. Place fish on mango sauce and add rice cooked in coconut milk on the side. The rice you can decorate with chives and roasted coconut.
How to choose a good mango?
What you need to know is that there are many different types of mango. Some are more yellow-orange with red parts and the others are a combination of pale yellow with green and red parts. This basically means that it is not true that if the mango is green it is also immature.
Is the mango good it can be seen by touching it. If it is soft to the touch on all sides and no dark spots, chances are very good that the mango is good.
Of course, it all depends on the method of storage during import, changes in temperatures, and the quality of the mango itself, where and when it is harvested.
Mango goes to both savory and sweet dishes …
It goes perfectly with
- roasted with pigs
- olive oil
- and not to mention what you already know (berries, lime, honey, pastry, and cakes ..)
So feel free to combine your mango sauces and dressings with all these spices and meats.
The coconut is perfect in the following combinations
coconut milk + beef + ginger
coconut milk + honey + lime
coconut (or coconut milk) + apricot (fresh and dry) + rice + vanilla
Sea bream in mango sauce
The recipe really couldn’t be easier. Clean and fillet the fish. Remove all bones. You roast it on the skin side in a Teflon pan. You can put baking paper at the bottom of the pan if you are afraid of the sticking.
You cook the al dente rice in coconut milk. Just like when you make the sauté, just put in the cardamom instead of cinnamon and sugar. How the Asians make good rice I wrote to you here
And lastly mango sauce. It is very important that the mango is ripe. Buy it two days earlier that zou want to use it to stand for a bit if you can’t find a nice ripe mango.
Peel, cut, put into a blender and season. In case you feel that it is a little bit more watery than you wanted you can always add agar agar, to tighten the sauce a little. When you put the agar agar in the sauce, for it to work you have to heat the sauce, which for mangoes, and this sauce is not a problem. Just refrigerate it slightly before serving.
I didn’t put agar agar because the sauce was just as thick as I needed it.