Kaisershamarrn (Emperor’s mess)
Hold on, hold on a minute, I can’t do it now… I’m tasting
Mmmm… yum, yum… pancakes that melt in your mouth… the kings knew what was right J
This is favorite desert in Val Gardena. There is no cabin in which they didn’t prepare this simple yet delicious treat. There were lines queuing for pancakes, the Kaisershmarrn version, but it was worth every penny!
- 6 medium-sized eggs
- 150 gr flour
- 100 ml milk
- 100 ml sweet cream
- 35 gr sugar (or as much as you like)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla aroma/ or a teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 spoon rum(or without alcohol, or with some other liquor)
- 3 tablespoons frying oil
- pinch of salt
- apples to your liking
- raisins to your liking
- vanilla sugar bag
- butter to your liking
- powder sugar
- cranberry jam
- Dip raisins into rum and leave it on the side for 15 minutes. In case you’re not using rum, dip raisins in warm water.
- Break one egg and separate egg whites from yolks (all 6 eggs).
- Combine whisked egg yolks with vanilla sugar, flour, milk, sweet cream, vanilla aroma and make smooth dough.
- Whisk hard egg whites with sugar and a pinch of salt in another dish.
- Slowly pour mixture made of egg yolks into the whisked egg whites. You have now dough for Emperor's pancakes, made by combining the two mixtures.
- After you’ve made the mixture heat the oil in the pan. Add the Emperor’s pancakes mixture (divide the mixture into 4 parts).
- Add thinly sliced apple and raisins.
- Add butter to your liking (two cubes for example).
- Fry, chop and turn the pancake with a kitchen spatula until it’s completely done (the frying time depends on the thickness of dough poured into the pan).
- At the end, add some cinnamon.
- Dust it with some powder sugar and add jam or cranberry sauce.
A shredded pancake named by the Austrian emperor (Kaiser) Franz Joseph I, who really liked this waffle shredded pastry.
I heard of the legend about this pancake which is also called Emperor’s crumbs after it. The Austrian emperor walked through the woods and came by a ranger’s cabin. The hostess wanted to welcome the emperor and prepare pancakes, but it didn’t work. Instead of pancakes, there were crumbs which she served with some forest fruit. As it happens with a happy ending story, the emperor was delighted by it and asked for his chefs to prepare the dish from then on.
Emperor’s pancakes are a very popular desert in northern Italy, Austria, south Germany and Slovenia.
There are some more ideas how you can additionally experiment with the flavors. For example, instead of using rum, apples, cinnamon, powder sugar and raisins, you can add some banana and chocolate broken into smaller pieces at the end (half melt it at the cooking temperature), and serve it with one or two ice cream balls.
Also, instead of cranberry jam, you can use any other jam, or berry sauce, as well as making your own.
There is a video in the ‘HOW’ section.